“With care comes great privilege. This belief infuses everything we do at Kiwanis, and our community vibrates with life because of it. I am uplifted everyday by the generosity of spirit that floods our Village.”
Melanie Young, Executive Director
HOUSING AND CARE OPTIONS
Kiwanis Village is a one-of-a-kind inclusive community where residents live full and purposeful lives. The Village supports older people through many different stages, from Independent Housing and Supportive Living, to Long Term Care and Respite. Life is unpredictable. We’ve learned that lifestyle changes can be both sudden and unexpected. For this reason, Kiwanis is responsive and flexible in our care.
Please click the tabs below to determine the best housing options for you or your loved one.
Independent Housing at a glance:
- I am aged 55 or older
- I have an annual household income of less than $34,400/year
- I am looking for affordable apartment housing
- I am able to live independently and require no hospitality or care services
Living at Kiwanis Manor I enjoy my cherished independence, while belonging to a vibrant and active community. Affordable housing means I can experience life to the fullest, without the strain of financial burden.
Supportive Living at a glance:
- I am aged 55 or older
- I am able to pay privately and do not require a rental subsidy
- I am looking for hospitality services such as meals, housekeeping and social & recreational activities included with my rent
- I am able to live independently and manage my own daily activities
We moved to the villa in the Spring of 2016. With the housekeeping and hospitality support we hoped for, we are now free to fully embrace the passions that bring us joy and contentment.
Assisted Living at a glance:
- I need scheduled personal assistance with day-to-day activities
- I currently receive home support services through Island Health
- I need hospitality services such as meals, housekeeping and social & recreational activities included with my rent
- I am able to maintain my independence and can arrange my own transportation and purchase groceries and personal items as required
After the loss of my wife, I needed a little help. I found it at Kiwanis House, where I receive respectful support in my day-to-day life and activities. I also found a community of like-minded neighbours, living life with purpose.
Long Term Care at a glance:
- I qualify for licensed residential care under the Island Health criteria
- I need professional nursing care available 24 hours/day
- I require a range of professionally-staffed services to support my care needs
I have always valued my privacy. I also requires 24-hour nursing care and housekeeping support. At Kiwanis Lodge I have both. Dignified care, carried out in the privacy of my own home.
Respite at a glance:
- I qualify for respite care based on Island Health criteria
- I am medically stable and have a family caregiver living in the Nanaimo region
- I require 24 hour nursing support
My husband has Alzheimer. For the past five years I have been his sole caregiver. The Kiwanis Respite program gives me a much needed temporary rest, with the knowledge that my husband is in caring, capable hands.